Decided to have a party in nature or a jog with musical accompaniment, but it’s raining? It’s okay if you have a speaker with waterproof protection. Find out what it is and how it works here.
How secure are portable speakers?
As a rule, when choosing a speaker, music lovers first pay attention to the sound quality and, in general, to the appearance of the device. However, one of the most important parameters will be protected against water and dust.
Of course, if the column will always be in the room, then these parameters can be neglected. But if the regular operation is planned in the fresh air, then a well-protected device will be needed here, because not only falling into the water but also spilled juice, raindrops will “help” the column to fail.
The Bluetooth shower speakers have a lot of protective functions, thanks to which the device will survive even a fall and a long stay in the water.
When selecting a column, the user will encounter the letters IP. This is Ingress Protection (IP) – an international sign of protection, translated as “degree of protection”. Usually, the full code of a device has the form IPXX, where the letters XX are replaced by numbers corresponding to protection levels. The first digit indicates protection against mechanical damage and penetration of solid objects such as dust. Ranked from 0 to 6.
Speaker protection can be roughly divided into two parts. The first is the external protection of buttons and connectors. Buttons are most often hidden under a thick layer of rubber, and all connectors are covered with specially sealed rubber plugs.
How to choose?
- One of the important selection criteria is the installation location. If we are talking about a room, it is necessary to consider its size and how it is filled with furniture, decoration, and soundproofing.
- A small room does not need a lot of power (up to 70 W), but in nature, the sound should spread over tens of meters (from 120 W). In addition, it is necessary to evaluate the sensitivity, the number of bands, and other characteristics.
- Almost all types of speakers can be connected to different devices – a smartphone, tablet, computer, or TV. If the connection is via Bluetooth, it is better to choose a model with a wider active area (up to 30 m). To avoid compatibility issues, the new version 4.0 must be installed on the device. With a small battery capacity, additional sources for recharging are needed, as an alternative, models with solar panels can be used.
- For outdoor activities, the weight and dimensions of the column are important. Additional attachments in the form of carabiners, suction cups, and clips make them easier to use – including at home.
- Since the price range for waterproof models is significant, it is necessary to navigate in their technical specifications. Branded acoustics are not always very different in sound or degree of protection from devices from little-known manufacturers. The warranty and availability of a service center will be an additional plus.
- If you plan to use it outdoors (in the garden, on the playground, etc.), then the column must be all-weather – not be afraid of water, sunlight, or rising or falling temperatures. To do this, it is better to choose active acoustics, but in this case, grounding is required.