Paros is one of the picturesque Greek islands in the Aegean Sea. It is located between the islands of Antiparos and Naxos. The island has preserved many unique historical landmarks. You will find beautiful nature, magnificent beaches, and plenty of entertainment here.
It makes Paros one of Greece’s most popular tourist destinations. Therefore, if you are planning a trip to this island, familiarize yourself with the best cities of Paros, a visit that will make your vacation unforgettable!
- Parikia is the principal city of Paros, where a large port is located. Traditional Greek white houses, narrow streets, and lively taverns uniquely charm Parikia. Most landmarks are in the Old Town, where you can visit medieval castles, an ancient market, or historic churches. The Venetian fortress, dating back to the 13th century, and the Panagia Ekatontapiliani temple are highly popular among tourists.
- Naoussa is another town located northeast of Paros, boasting a picturesque port. It is the second-largest city on the island: if you decide to go for a car rental in Paros, the trip from Parikia will take only 15 minutes. There are many restaurants in Naoussa where you can try local delicacies. Additionally, in Naoussa, you can visit an interesting historical museum of folk art, explore the ruins of a Venetian castle, or enjoy yourself at a water park.
- Lefkes is a small town in the center of Paros, surrounded by stunning nature. The uniqueness of Lefkes lies in its amphitheater-like layout and its position at the island’s highest point. Moreover, you can visit ancient windmills, considered one of the town’s main attractions. Another sanctuary in Lefkes is the white marble church called Agia Triada.
- Piso Livadi is a picturesque port and fishing village located on the eastern coast of Paros. The main attraction of Piso Livadi is the local beach: small, tranquil, and cozy; it is perfect for sunbathing and swimming away from the urban noise. You can take a colorful evening stroll along the promenade and savor local delicacies in nearby establishments.
- Aliki is where travelers usually come to relax and enjoy the beautiful landscapes. Aliki is a quiet and peaceful town in the southern part of Paros. The atmosphere here is characterized by unique hospitality: in local cafes, you will be treated to delicious dishes made from fresh fish and seafood. On the beach, you can sunbathe to your heart’s content or engage in windsurfing, and a whole children’s town is provided for the little ones. All of this makes Aliki an ideal place for a peaceful family vacation.
- Drios is another atmospheric fishing village worth visiting if you plan to travel around Paros by car. Cars in Paros can be rented on the website Localcarrents of a car rental company and picked up at a time convenient for you. In that case, the trip to the picturesque village will take a little time because you won’t have to look for suitable public transportation. In Drios, those who appreciate Mediterranean cuisine, beautiful architecture, and beach relaxation will particularly enjoy it.
- Marpissa captivates tourists with its tranquility and intricately narrow streets adorned with white houses and flower-decorated balconies. When visiting Marpissa, visit the local monastery of Agios Antonios, which is considered the town’s main attraction. You can also climb to the top of Kefalos Hill to enjoy the beautiful view and take stunning photos.
Each town on the island of Paros has a unique atmosphere, so we recommend visiting as many locations as possible during your trip. This way, you will be able to experience the proper rhythm of life in Paros, learn many new things, and thoroughly enjoy the beauty of this island.
Things to Do in Paros
The magnificent nature and beautiful architecture are the highlights of Paros. But that’s not where the possibilities for a good time on the island end. The entertainment infrastructure is also well-developed here, so visitors can find an activity they like.
1. Leisure. There are many opportunities for active recreation on the island, including various water sports. For example, on the beaches of Paros, you can try your hand at diving, kiteboarding, windsurfing, or regular surfing, as well as enjoy banana boat rides or water skiing. Many cities in Paros have sports facilities for playing football, basketball, volleyball, or tennis. And if you want to enjoy the local nature fully, plan a hike or camping trip.
2. Beach parties. Fans of vibrant leisure, dancing, and good music will undoubtedly be thrilled with the beach parties in Paros. If you want to have a great time, visit an open-air party on the beaches of Pounda, Logaras, or Kolymbithres – these are the places where tourists and locals usually have fun.
3. Fishing. Paros offers entertainment options for those who prefer a calmer and more serene atmosphere. Many residents have been engaged in fishing for generations, so it’s not difficult to find a companion with their boat for an exciting fishing trip. You can catch sea bass, sardine, sea bream, or even lobster if you’re lucky.
4. Cycling and trekking. A bike ride is a great way to spend an active time and enjoy the magnificent nature of the island of Paros. There are plenty of beautiful routes here for cycling enthusiasts. In some locations, you can even book a guided bike tour where the guide will share a lot of interesting information about local attractions.
5. Cultural events. Paros hosts many exciting events at different times of the year, making your vacation more vibrant. Music concerts, theatrical performances, exhibitions, and various shows—here, everyone will find entertainment to their liking. The island also hosts many popular festivals, such as the Lefkas Cultural Festival, the Summer Film Festival, the Paros Folklore Festival, and others.
6. Gastro tourism. There is an incredible number of cafes, bars, and restaurants here with unique dishes and drinks of Greek cuisines, such as moussaka, hummus, gyros, and tzatziki. On Paros, you can always find delicious meat, fish, seafood, olives, cheese, and wine. Moreover, you can enjoy tasty food, pleasant live music, and colorful folk shows in many establishments.
7. Shopping. In the cities and villages of Paros, there are many shopping opportunities: in addition to regular clothing, footwear, and accessory stores, there are also numerous exciting souvenir shops, small stores with local products, wineries, and old workshops showcasing various traditional crafts, including the delightful ceramics for which Paros is renowned.
8. Attractions. This Greek island has historical landmarks, exciting museums, ancient temples, and structures. Therefore, there are places to visit here to learn more about the rich history and culture of Paros. In addition to that, on the island, you can book excursions to neighboring islands, such as Antiparos or Naxos.
What you need for a budget holiday in Paros
Paros enjoys immense popularity among tourists thanks to its picturesque nature, excellent beaches, exciting sights, and diverse entertainment options. However, a trip to the island can be costly. If you adhere to a few simple rules, you can save significantly without sacrificing the quality of your vacation.
1. Plan your route.
Try to start planning your trip as early as possible. Look for information about famous locations, try to buy plane tickets, and book accommodation in advance using popular services that offer the best deals. Find out which restaurants offer delicious lunches at reasonable prices and how much access to museums and tours costs. It will help you accurately forecast your vacation budget and avoid excessive expenses.
2. Do not choose the peak season.
From May to September, the number of vacationers on Paro’s and prices for all goods and services increases. The peak months are considered to be July and August. Therefore, if you want to save money, it’s worth choosing a quieter season to visit the island. Plan your trip for May, June, or September when accommodation and airfare prices are comparatively lower than in the peak season.
3. Prepare food yourself.
Of course, you should try Greek cuisine dishes in local cafes and restaurants. But if you only have breakfast, lunch, and dinner at establishments, it will cost you much more than if you occasionally cook food yourself. Therefore, we recommend buying fresh products at local markets and preparing traditional Greek dishes yourself – it will be economical and exciting!
4. Rent a car.
Using public transportation around Paros is inconvenient, and the island’s taxi services can be expensive. Therefore, the best solution for comfortable and affordable trips is car rental in Paros. It is effortless to do: cars in Paros can be rented on the website or through the mobile app of a car rental company; choose the rental dates, the vehicle model, and the location from which it will be convenient for you to pick up the car. After that, you must pick up the vehicle at the designated time and place. The car rental process in Paros is rapid, and the rental cost will pleasantly surprise you. Take the rented car and enjoy the picturesque landscapes of Paros!
5. Discover free attractions
Paros has numerous historical landmarks, architectural monuments, and exciting locations. Some offer free admission for children, students, and senior citizens. Additionally, certain museums have open-door days when all visitors can freely explore the exhibits. Make sure to inquire about opportunities to visit these fascinating attractions at the right time.
6. Choose affordable accommodation
Indeed, you can opt for comfortable hotels to stay in Paros, but it can be pretty expensive. It’s better to explore alternative options: many hostels in Paros offer guests comfortable accommodations with meals and all amenities at more favorable prices. You can also search for apartments on vacation rental websites—this option may be cheaper than booking a hotel room.
As you can see, enjoying your vacation in Paros doesn’t require spending a fortune; it is enough to pay attention to planning, find out about advantageous offers in advance, and choose optimal options in terms of price and quality.
Going for car rental in Paros, visiting museums on open-door days, engaging in your culinary experiments, and taking advantage of discounted airfares will help you save money without compromising the quality and comfort of your vacation. By following these recommendations, you can have an unforgettable holiday on this picturesque island at quite reasonable prices.